New Years Eve always seems to be the one social evening of the year where sparkle, glitter and glamour are called for in the clothes department. This is a perennial problem for the tomboy style dresser and can sometimes, and often in my case, cause the most angst over the Christmas period. What to wear that suggests you are dressed for the occasion but not so much so that you feel as though you are having an out of body experience and attending the function as some one other than your true self. Weddings also have this effect on me, but I am learning slowly that dressing as yourself is always the best option and nobody would expect anything else.
Here fellow tomboys, lovers of Garcon style, are my suggestions for the party evening of the year. Items that say, I know it’s party time but I’m keeping my inner freestyle soul intact and not wasting my hard earned mula on any shiny s*** that won’t see the light of day again after midnight.
1) Culottes are a tomboy girls current new BFF worn with a heel or soft fabric top they can look chic and stylish.
2) Wear a full on party skirt such as sequinned but dressed down with a sweater, T-shirt or sweatshirt.
3) Wear a tulle prom skirt with every day items such as a military jacket and ankle boots or biker boots & again with a sweater or sweatshirt
4) Jumpsuits are still hanging around or opt for a semi jumpsuit/dungaree version such as this one from Anthropologie, now in the sale!
5) Add silver to anything in the form of shoes, bags, jackets and it says I’m party ready.
If in doubt there’s always the tried and tested Parisian chic silk shirt and well cut black trousers demonstrated beautifully here by Clemence poesy
- Zara Jumpsuit
- Laura Celement at La Redoute
- Aldo silver block heel shoes
- Zara metallic pleat skirt
Happy New year to all my readers. What ever you wear, where ever you are, have a fab time!